February 18, 2010

I've been training, really I have!

My apologies for the long, long delay in posting anything. In truth I've been too busy training!

The demands of work, training, teaching, dog and assorted life crises have kept me on my toes lately. Through it all I've come to realize that working out is the one thing truly keeping me sane during this hectic time in my life. There is a notable difference in my demeanor (a cranky one) on the days when I am not able to work out. Coming home from a good run or bike ride has me feeling like a million bucks and I crave those endorphins now. How on earth did I ever live without adrenaline rushes for so long?!

My triathlon training is going well. I'm realizing that my swimming needs a lot of work, so I've now committed to at least one, if not two, swims per week. Each swim gets a little easier, so I just need to keep hammering away at my endurance.

I've had some great runs lately. I've finally come to view the treadmill as an ally and I no longer dread those indoor workouts. I had a phenomenal experience running in the Arizona mountains while visiting family earlier this month, and it made me realize how lucky I am in life. Regardless of previously mentioned life crises, I am still happy, healthy, and able to run. For this I am grateful. One of my favorite running blogs also recently talked about a similar epiphany while running through beautiful scenery, and I thought frequently of this sentiment as I breathed in the crisp mountain air. Truly blessed indeed.

My big news of the week is that I just purchased a road bike! So I'm now able to fully train and race in my upcoming April triathlon. She's sitting in my car at the moment, just waiting to be unloaded and taken for a ride. I plan on trekking around the neighborhood a bit this evening to get a feel for her before making my way to the pool. Ah the life of an aspiring triathlete! Such simple pleasures.

This weekend is supposed to be beautiful, with highs in the upper 50s. It'll be the first warm spell for close to a month around these parts, and I intend to take full advantage with lots of bike rides and outdoor runs.

I'll be more diligent about updating the blog from this point forward. So tune in for more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment