January 14, 2010

Back on Track

After a somewhat disappointing start to my 8K program, I was anxious for my second workout to erase the unpleasant memories of the first. I unfortunately came down with a cold, likely brought on by pre-semester stress at work, and didn't feel like myself for days. In fact, I still feel very worn down, but by and large my cold has passed. Tuesday marked my first day running since I started feeling under the weather.

The run was better. I had my own, fully functional headphones, which made a huge difference. The glitches still existed in the GW28K iPhone app, but I expected them this time and planned around then. I was able to sustain my pace more consistently, and I ran a little faster. I really struggled in sections. It's frustrating because when I'm outside I can run 25+ minutes and want to go further, but on the treadmill I'm running like a lead balloon and dying from boredom by minute 4. I need to learn to make peace with the treadmill.

A benefit of the treadmill, as I mentioned before, is that I can monitor my pace and distance. As stated before, I'm a slow runner. Turtles could pass me. My first run I started at 6.2mph for a song or two (Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" does that to me), but then camped out around 5.2mph for the duration of the run. This time I consistently held at 5.6mph and did my warmup, walking sections, and cool down all at 3.5mph. That allowed me to run further than I had last time, 3.5 miles as opposed to 3.3. I'd like to keep up this pattern and edge up my speed each week, and perhaps reset back down once a new week and distance start if I find I can't keep that pace for longer. We'll see.

Overall the run was fine. I will learn to love the treadmill one of these days.

In brighter news, North Carolina has finally started thawing out. And by thawing out I mean "out of the 30s," which is cold for down here. Today it's supposed to hit 55, so I'm fully intending to speed home after work, throw on my workout clothes and go running around the pond. Perhaps a good old-fashioned run outdoors will reinvigorate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment