January 19, 2010

Breakthrough?

Last night I thought I was going to have an awful run. I really had to talk myself into going at all, plus my shins were still incredibly tight. I started running really, really slowly and figured I would just push through and get the run done and move on.

About a half mile in I realized that if I ran faster my shins actually felt better, as though the tension was being worked out of them, so I kept up the pace. I was by no means flying, but I was running faster than usual. I began to lock into that pace after my designated minute walking sections and my muscles could "feel" that pace again. It was great. Instead of my pace increasing and slowing over the course of a run it stayed pretty consistent, and it was more challenging for me. I read today about the concept of tempo runs and I think I accidentally stumbled into something similar last night.

I'm far, far from my goal pace, but last night I was definitely faster and I'm encouraged by that. I felt fantastic when I got home and I'm excited for tomorrow's run. Tonight I hit the bike at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment